Monday, March 31, 2008

Ambassador Cam: New School, Coming in 2010



I've actually been meaning to post this for months, but never had the camera handy... so here goes, the recently revised LAUSD poster for "Central LA New Learning Center #1" -- a.k.a. the Ambassador Hotel school.

Remember when the old drawings for the school made it look virtually identical to the Ambassador? Obviously those plans are long gone, as the school is looking much more modern these days. Not that I object -- attempting to create a fake Ambassador facade is pointless; the real building is gone.

Also, as you can see, the opening date has now been pushed back to fall 2010; until recently, the goal date was fall 2009. Again, makes sense, since actual construction has yet to begin.

Meanwhile, you may have noticed the Angels Walk markers that are all over downtown have now made their way to the Mid-Wilshire area. Starting with MacArthur Park, the signs continue west on Wilshire (until at least Western). Below, the Ambassador Hotel marker -- which just missed being installed in front of the actual Ambassador by two years. (LA Observed's Kevin Roderick handles the text; Kevin, of course, wrote the "Wilshire Boulevard" book.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Louie said...

I like your blog. I was really caught up in the history of this hotel and it started when I looked up the history of Bobby Kennedy. I was amazed by the pictures. I would like to know if there are any pictures of the nightmare decor that Sammy Davis Jr created when he turned the Coconut Grove into the Now Grove. I keep hearing how terrible it looked.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will there be any more photographs,
shown on this site, of what's left on the Ambassador grounds?

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In late 2006, I was able to gain access to the hotel to shoot several rolls of photos and have all my negatives. I used Diana cameras, standard 35MM and I can't remember what else, but one other camera. I was having flash issues that day, cursed sync or battery issues. But I am now going to be potentially shopping them for a book. They're really cool. If anyone knows anyone who may be interested, please contact me: lemons13@pacbell.net. Because getting me in was so hush hush, and it was arranged by someone in the school district, I wish to remain anonymous.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is perfect. L.A. CA. the City with no Soul! History means nothing, in the plastic city. Shame on you, L.A.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Cheltenham Race Course said...

Enjoy horseracing at Cheltenham Race Course with hiexcheltenham.com, The Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cheltenham is a sophisticated, modern hotel set amid the regency splendour of Cheltenham Town Centre.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Carribean Restaurants said...

Find cheap vacations and discount travel packages on flights, hotels, car rentals and vacation packages.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Tour Guide St Petersburg said...

Lentina Travel Company provides readymade and customized tour packages for Private Tours, City Tours and Shore Excursions in St Petersburg.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home